The famous theatre designed by Henry Van de Velde and Auguste Perret is the first Art Deco building in Paris, entirely built of reinforced concrete, the newest architectural technology of the time.
The Théâtre des Champs-Élysées, one of the most elegant performance venues in Paris, was a radical departure from the Art Nouveau style.
It is also the first Parisian theatre to be entirely built of reinforced concrete. The building’s concrete construction was not merely a stylistic choice. Subsoil conditions and the site’s proximity to the Seine made concrete necessary.
Location: Paris, France Construction period: 1910 to 1913
Building: theatre or concert hall Style: Art Deco
Named after the neighbourhood in which it is situated, the theatre features rectangular forms, straight lines and decoration attached to the outside, on plaques of marble and stucco.
Perret dressed the facade with travertine slabs and proscenium Allier marble slabs, where are built exceptional white marble reliefs of Emile-Antoine Bourdelle.
The building has three theatres: a large semicircle hall in the Italian taste with 1905 seats dedicated to opera and music; a medium hall with 601 seats (la Comédie) and a small hall with 230 seats (le Studio), both devoted to the theatre. The four interior column groups were also left visible.
The interior of the theatre includes some works by Bourdelle (bronze and frescoes). Maurice Denis realized the decoration of the dome (1910-1912). Painters Édouard Vuillard, Ker-Xavier Roussel and Jacqueline Marval (1866-1932) also contributed to the decor.
image source: https://www.wice-paris.org/event-3148935